Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I Heart Sewers! (And People Who Sew)

     Something wonderful happened yesterday. Well, at first something rotten happened, but, as is so often the case, the wonderful couldn't have happened with out the rotten.  I'll begin with the rotten.
This happened. 

     Allow me to explain. I was up early this morning, because early is my most favorite time of all. Everything is quiet, dogs are happily snoozing and I am at my very most creative and productive. I was having a lovely time constructing this iPad sleeve and everything was moving along swimmingly. I always like to check to make sure that an iPad will actually fit in the sleeves that I make, so I slipped mine in to see.
No problemo. It fit just fine.  All I had left to do was sew the tab onto the end of the zip. So, I snipped off the excess and began to fit the tab on when, "oops" my iPad was still in there. Do you see where this is headed? Yeah. Without thinking, I went to open up the sleeve and I pulled that sucker right off the end of the zipper.
     I didn't swear. No, really. I wanted to. I thought all the bad words, but I didn't utter a one. Had I, I would have unleashed a tirade of epic proportion. I would have Woken The Dogs. Even I know not to wake the Nutjob Terriers.
   What I did do was take a picture of my disaster and send out a plaintive cry for help on Instagram.
Within moments people were offering condolences and suggestions for what I could do, or who might help. The one name that came up several times was, Erin, better known to me as @Yorkiemischief (I'll bet she knows a thing or two about Nutjob Terriers!), who blogs at Dog Under My Desk.
     Here is where the wonderful comes in to play. Erin heard the buzz on Twitter and Instagram that there was a sewist in distress.  She threw on her Super Woman cape (I'm pretty sure she has a phone booth in her studio for quick changes) and came to the rescue!




     She also said these soothing words, "I am sure you are not alone." Well, I'm not so sure about that, but it was lovely to hear!
     Erin was kind enough to let me embed the video she made showing how to fix a zipper (in case I'm not alone), so be sure to check out her blog and give her a "follow" if you haven't already!
    And one more thing. This quilting sewing community never ceases to amaze me with its love and support. It really truly warms my heart to know that we can put the word out and in a moments notice we will have so many people ready and willing to help. God Bless you ALL!!
Cheers!
Mary

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the love and support of the sewing community in blogland etc. Glad you found someone to offer a solution to your problem. Also glad you didn't wake your dogs - one must let sleeping dogs lie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I did that once! I made my husband fix it for me...and that's why I love him so much. He can do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is a keeper. I am a long time sewing person and have never known you could fix a zipper ! She is Wonder Woman!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, I discovered your blog from being a regular reader of Erin's! Thanks for sharing that because I, too, have pulled zipper pulls off and tossed them in the trash, not knowing I could fix it myself. Yay!

    ReplyDelete